Softball is an outdoor game that requires a batter from a team to hit a ball from an opposing pitcher. Each team consists of nine players in different positions. These positions include left, right, center fielders, first, second, and third basemen, shortstop, pitchers, and catchers.
There are several governing bodies for softball, and they include United States Specialty Sports Association (USSSA), National Softball Association (NSA), Amateur Softball Association (ASA), International Softball Federation (ISF), and Independent Softball Association (ISA). These governing bodies have their rules for fastpitch and slowpitch softball tournaments. A softball game lasts for seven innings or a maximum of 80 minutes, depending on which comes first. There are breaks during a game, and a player can take snacks and drinks for energy and hydration. Coolers are necessary for keeping snacks and drinks cool for a long time.
Coolers are insulated boxes for keeping food and drinks cool. Coolers can either be soft-sided or hard-sided. Soft coolers have high-density foam insulation and are portable, and they are generally from vinyl, cotton, neoprene, or nylon. There is a provision for shoulder straps that allow carrying the coolers like a backpack. Although soft-sided coolers do not have as much capacity as hard-sided coolers, they are collapsible. The best soft-sided coolers include Coleman Soft Cooler with Removable Liner, Tourit Cooler Backpack, Yeti Hopper Flip Portable Cooler, etc. Hard-sided coolers are suitable for outdoor events, are from hard, roto-molded plastic, and have better ice retention than soft coolers. Hard coolers also have a large capacity, are durable, and can withstand rugged environments. Best hard-sided coolers include Arctic Zone Titan Deep Freeze, Coleman steel-belted cooler, Igloo Polar Cooler, etc.
There are several factors to consider before purchasing coolers. These factors include brand, storage capacity, ice retention, durability, and portability. The top five brands that produce quality coolers include Yeti, Igloo, RTIC, Coleman, Magellan, nICE, etc. The nICE brand is a new brand, and they make affordable and dependable coolers. Their coolers have double-walled insulation, and they keep contents fresh for days, even on exposure to extreme heat. nICE also have innovations that make their coolers stand out.
Another factor to consider is the storage capacity of a cooler. Large coolers have more space than smaller coolers. The insulation of a cooler determines its ice retention, and Hard-sided coolers have more ice retention than soft-sided coolers. Durability and portability are also important factors because they determine how a cooler can withstand harsh conditions and how easy they are to carry. Some coolers have wheels for more accessible transport. The Tundra haul hard cooler is the Yeti Cooler with wheels. Other coolers with wheels include Igloo Trialmate Coolers, Coleman Xtreme Wheeled Cooler, Canyon Cooler Mule, etc.
Some coolers are suitable for camping activities, while some are suitable for picnics. The best camping coolers include Stanley 30QT adventure cooler, Coleman 50 Quart Xtreme 5 Wheeled Cooler, Orca 75 Quart Cooler, etc. Small coolers are inexpensive and portable, but they have a smaller storage capacity. The best small coolers include Yeti Hopper Flip Portable Cooler, Coleman soft Collapsible Cooler, Scout Insulated Soft Cooler, etc.
To make your cooler more effective, you have to pre-cool it. Pre-cooling a cooler involves filling the cooler with ice overnight. Afterward, pre-chill your contents. Pre-chilled contents will be cool for a more extended period. When packing your cooler, add more ice than contents. The last step is to fill the cooler up to capacity. You can add chilled water bottles to spaces; these water bottles prevent warm air from entering the cooler, and there is a slowdown in the melting process.
You may be interested in the following articles;
The Best Coolers for Softball Tournaments are Reviewed Below
This article reviews the ten best coolers for softball tournaments, considering the brand, storage capacity, durability, and portability. Do well to follow through.
Xspec 60QT Quart High-Performance Roto-molded Cooler
The Xspec 60QT roto-molded cooler is from plastic, and it has three color variants of camouflage, seafoam, and granite print. The insulation is 3 inches, and it is from polyurethane. The cooler also has a freezer-grade gasket that increases ice retention, and it is compatible with dry ice. The body and lid are from three inches thick roto-molded insulation, and there is a UV protection surface. Other features include a leak-proof drain plug and a pressure release valve that eases opening. The low-profile snap-tight latches close the cooler securely and prevent damages. The cooler also has heavy-duty grab handles for easy carrying, a molded ruler with a built-in compass, and a built-in bottle opener. The cooler is also easy to transport because of features like non-slip feet and molded tie-down slots.
- Roto-molded thermoplastic
- UV resistant surface
- Thick insulation
- Air-tight seal
- Large capacity of 60 quart
- Air pressure release valve
- Quick clip latches
- Heavy-duty grab handles
- Non-slip feet
- Lock plates
- Bottle opener
- Compass and ruler
- Brand: Xspec
- Dimensions: 28 × 17 × 18 inches
- Weight: 31 pounds
- The roto-molded thermoplastic is virtually indestructible and can withstand rough terrain
- The UV resistant surface makes the cooler suitable for outdoor purposes
- The thick insulation increases ice retention fr days
- The air-tight seal is a food-grade freezer style D-seal gasket, and it keeps the contents of the cooler cold for days
- The cooler can accommodate volumes up to 60 quarts
- The air pressure release valve releases built-up pressure in the cooler
- Quick clip latches are easy to use and offer a secure lock for the cooler
- Heavy-duty grab handles allow for more accessible transportation
- Non-slip feet prevent sliding
- The lock plates make the cooler secure
- Compass and ruler help with directions
- The cooler is heavy
- It does not come with a basket
RovR Wheeled Camping Rolling Cooler
The RovR wheeled cooler is a versatile cooler suitable for all-terrain. The cooler has high-performance, puncture-resistant tires on rust-proof aluminum hubs; the wheels are lightweight and 9 inches in size. You can attach this cooler to a bike with the magical tow arm. The cooler is from roto Molded plastic, and it is durable. It has an air-tight gasket and thick foam insulation that increases ice retention. The cooler is available in 5 colors to suit customer’s preferences, and it is bear-proof. Another feature of this cooler is its deep freeze storage with multiple compartments. The cooler can accommodate 60 quarts of volume, and it has a removable wagon bin.
- 60 Quart cooler
- Optional bike attachment with a magical tow arm
- Durable and versatile
- Roto-molded plastic body
- Air-tight gasket
- Thick foam insulation
- High performance, puncture-resistant tires
- Rust-proof aluminum hubs
- Lightweight, nine-inch wheels
- Deep freeze storage
- Removable wagon bin
- Brand: ROVR Products
- Dimensions: 27 × 22 × 21 inches
- Weight: 45 pounds
- The cooler has a large capacity with a 60 Quart volume
- The cooler has an optional bike attachment with a magical tow arm
- The bear-proof feature makes the cooler secure
- There is high durability from the roto-molded plastic
- It is versatile and suitable for all-terrain
- The air-tight gasket and thick foam insulation prevent air from seeping in and keep the contents of the cooler cold.
- The lightweight wheels improve transport
- The tires are solid and puncture-resistant
- Deep freeze storage provides different compartments for ice and dry items
- There is a removable wagon bin
- Available in five colors
- Five-year warranty
- The cooler is expensive than other similar coolers
- The ice retention period is not as advertised
Coleman Steel-belted cooler
The Coleman steel-belted cooler has a rust-resistant stainless steel exterior and a heavy-duty retro design. The cooler has premium insulation that increases ice retention up to four days in temperatures as high as 90⁰F. The cooler is durable and has a comfort-grip steel handle for easy carriage. This cooler has a large capacity of 54 liters, and it can accommodate up to 85 cans. The Coleman Steel-belted cooler is available in matte black and red colors; its have-a-seat lid can accommodate up to 250 pounds weight. This cooler has a 19-pound weight, and it is very portable
- Large capacity
- Heavy-duty retro design
- Premium insulation
- Comfort-grip steel handle
- Rust-resistant stainless steel body
- Brand: Coleman
- Dimensions: 25.1 × 17.5 × 17 inches
- Weight: 19 pounds
- The cooler has a 54 liters capacity and can accommodate up to 85 beverage cans
- There is a solid build with a heavy-duty retro design
- Premium insulation improves ice retention up to four days in temperatures up to 90⁰F
- There is a comfort-grip steel handle for easy carriage
- Available in matte black and red colors
- The cooler does not latch properly
- The rear-lid hinges are not durable
Pelican Elite Cooler
The Pelican Elite Cooler has a durable construction with its polypropylene material. The cooler is portable and lightweight with a 10 pounds weight, and it has a 20-quart volume. There are 2 inches of polyurethane insulation that gives the cooler three days ice retention. The cooler is leak and waterproof, and it has self-draining cup holders. Features of the Elite cooler include an over-molded carry handle and an anti-shear hinge system. The cooler also has non-skid rubber feet that prevent slipping, an integrated bottle opener, and a 360-degree freezer-grade gasket that keeps the content of the cooler cold. The cooler has 3-inch locking hatches, a lockable hasp, and it is leak and waterproof. The Elite cooler also comes in 9 fun colors, and it has a lifetime warranty
- 10 lbs. Lightweight cooler
- 20-quart volume
- Leak and waterproof
- 2 inches polyurethane insulation
- Over-molded carry handle
- Integrated bottle opener
- Self-draining cup holders
- 360-degree freezer grade gasket
- Anti-shear hinge system
- Non-skid rubber feet
- 3-inch locking hatches
- Tie-down slots
- Brand: Pelican
- Dimensions: 18.8 × 12.6 × 17.7 inches
- Weight: 10 pounds
- The cooler is lightweight and portable
- It can accommodate 15 cans of beverage or three bottles of wine
- Durable and it can withstand any terrain
- Leak and waterproof
- Polyurethane insulation and 360-degree freezer-grade gasket offers ice retention of about three days
- Over-molded carry handle improves transportation
- The anti-shear hinge system is durable and can withstand regular opening and closing
- Non-skid rubber feet prevent slipping
- The 3-inch locking hatches improves security
- Tie-down slots allow easy access to the cooler while it is securely strapped down
- The cooler comes with a lifetime warranty
- There is no drain plug
- The cooler is expensive
Coleman Excursion Portable Cooler
The Coleman Excursion cooler is a portable cooler that weighs 2.7 pounds. It has a bail handle that allows easy carrying with one hand. The cooler is from plastic and has a capacity of 9 quarts. It can accommodate nine beverage cans, and it has durable integrated lid hinges that can withstand constant opening and closing. The cooler has 8-hour ice retention, and it is available in blue and red colors
- 9-quart capacity
- Durable integrated lid hinges
- Bail handle
- Plastic cooler
- Brand: Coleman
- Dimensions: 9.3 × 11.3 × 12.9 inches
- Weight: 2.7 pounds
- It can accommodate nine beverage cans or a full meal
- The cooler can withstand repeated opening and closing due to its durable integrated lid hinges
- Bail handle allows one-hand carrying
- Available in blue and red colors
- The lid is difficult to open
- The cooler is not heavily insulated
Yeti Tundra 45 Cooler
The Yeti Tundra 45 is a high-end cooler with a 45-quart capacity and can accommodate 28 beverage cans. The cooler is from cotton, and it is available in several colors. The Tundra 45 is durable and strong. It has features such as a fat wall design that contains two inches of insulation. The walls and lid have permafrost insulation from polyurethane foam that increases ice retention. The cooler’s construction is roto-molded, which makes it indestructible. Other features include heavy-duty rubber latches and an interlock lid system that provides a barrier against heat. The Tundra 45 also features double haul, and lip grip handles for easy transportation. There are anchor point tie-down slots that allow easy mounting and a vortex drain system for easy drain. The cooler also has a cold lock gasket that locks in the cold and a never-fail hinge system to withstand repeated opening and closing.
- Large capacity cooler from cotton material
- Fatwall design
- Permafrost insulation
- T-REX lid latches
- Interlock lid system
- Double haul handles
- Anchor point tie-down slots
- Cold lock gasket
- Vortex drain system
- Never fail hinge system
- Lip grip handles
- Bearfoot non-slip feet
- Brand: Yeti
- Dimensions: 25.5 × 16 × 15.5 inches
- Weight: 24 pounds
- The cooler is strong and durable
- There is a 45-quart volume capacity
- Fatwall design allows two inches of insulation
- Permafrost insulation uses pressure-injected commercial-grade polyurethane foam for longer ice retention
- Roto-molded makes the cooler armored and almost indestructible
- T-REX lid latches use heavy-duty rubber to improve closing
- The interlock lid system creates a barrier against heat
- The dual haul handles use military-grade polyester rope for durability and easy carrying
- Anchor point tie-down slots allow easy mounting of the cooler
- The cold lock gasket is freezer quality, and it blocks out heat and locks in the cold to improve ice retention
- The vortex drain system is leak-proof and rugged. It allows for easy draining
- The hinge system is from two hinge pins and interlocking, and it is durable
- Lip grip handles allow easy carriage
- The Bearfoot non-slip feet prevent slipping
- The cooler is available in different colors
- The cooler is expensive
- You have to pre-cool the cooler before use
Arctic Zone Titan Zipperless Deep Freeze Handbag Cooler
The titan deep freeze is a portable cooler with a handbag design and a flip-open zipperless lid for easy access to food and drinks. Features of the Titan deep freeze are an insulated front pocket, a radiant heat barrier, and a removable hard body liner. The insulated front pocket and heat barrier improve ice retention. The removable hard body liner has a smart shelf that keeps hard and soft items separate.
The cooler has an adjustable shoulder strap, a rhino tech exterior material, and a leak-proof exterior pocket. The shoulder strap is adjustable, and there are shoulder pads to improve comfort. The outer pocket is ultrasafe, leak-proof with a zipper. At the same time, the rhino tech material is resistant to stain and easy to clean. Other features are a triple-layer cold block base that keeps the cold in and side mesh pockets. The titan deep freeze is available in four colors and variable sizes.
- Flip open zipperless lid
- Insulated front pocket
- Deep freeze high-performance insulation
- Radiant heat barrier
- Removable hard body liner with smart-shelf
- Adjustable back saver shoulder straps with shoulder pads
- Triple-layer cold block base
- Ulta safe leak-proof
- Rhino tech exterior material
- Exterior zippered pocket
- Side mesh pockets
- Brand: Arctic Zone
- Dimensions: 9.75 × 8 × 9.5 inches
- Weight: 1.94 pounds
- The flip-open Zipperless lid allows easy access to food and drinks in the cooler
- An insulated front pocket prevents warm air from seeping into the cooler
- Deep freeze high-performance insulation improves ice retention
- The radiant heat barrier radiates and prevents heat from getting into the cooler
- There is a removable hard body liner for creating compartments.
- The smart-shelf allow the keeping of hard items from soft ones
- The adjustable back saver shoulder straps allow easy carrying
- The cooler is comfortable due to the shoulder straps
- Triple-layer cold block base keeps out the heat and keeps in the cold
- The ultra-safe leak proof prevents leaks
- The rhino tech exterior material is resistant to water and stain, and it is easy to clean
- Side mesh pockets create space for other items
- Available in variable sizes of 9, 16, 30, and 48 can capacity
- There are four color variations
- The plastic liner is thin
- The cooler does not keep ice for long
- There is poor insulation
Yeti Hopper M30 Portable Soft Cooler
The Hopper M30 is a portable cooler with dual quick-release buckles that can withstand throwing without opening suddenly. The cooler is soft-sided, and it is from a foam material. A hydroshield closure uses magnets to create an ultra leak-resistant shield that is easy to use. The Hopper M30 can accommodate a 29-quart volume, and it has a wide mouth opening for easy access. Features of this cooler include cold cell insulation from closed-cell foam that increases the ice retention and welded seams for a leak-proof interior and waterproof exterior. The exterior is resistant to punctures and UV rays, and it is easy to carry. The cooler also comes in 6 colors to suit customer’s needs.
- Foam material
- Dual quick-release buckles
- Cold cell insulation
- Hydroshield closure
- Wide-mouth opening
- Leak-proof liner
- Brand: Yeti
- Dimensions: 25 × 12 × 17.5 inches
- Weight: 10.29 pounds
- The cooler is soft-sided and collapsible
- The foam material improves portability
- Dual quick-release buckles withstand throwing without opening suddenly
- The cold cell insulation uses closed cell foam to improve cell retention
- Hydroshield closure uses magnets to create an ultra leak-resistant shield
- The cooler is easy to use
- There is a wide-mouth opening for easy access
- The leak-proof liner uses welded seams to create a leak-proof interior and waterproof exterior resisting punctures and UV rays
- The cooler has a 29-quart capacity, and it can accommodate 20 beverage cans
- The cooler is durable and available in six colors
- The cooler is difficult to open
- The cooler is hard to load and unload
OtterBox Trooper Cooler
The OtterBox Trooper is a soft-sided cooler with variable sizes of 12, 20, and 30 quarts volume. The Trooper 30 has a heavy-duty base that covers the bottom and protects the cooler from abrasion. The cooler comes with a large mouth opening that makes loading and unloading easy. The cooler’s exterior has thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) coated nylon that makes the cooler durable and resistant to water puncture, UV rays, and chemicals. The cooler is light, portable, and cold, and it has duraflex hardware with tie-down slots. The cooler’s insulation is ingenious and can keep ice for three days. There are two options for carrying the Trooper 30 cooler: shoulder straps and backpack options. Another feature is an easy-open latch that allows one-handed opening and an integrated mounting system that allows attaching accessories like bottle openers. Other features include a reinforced base, leak-proof seal, and water-resistant pockets.
- Heavy-duty base
- Largemouth opening
- TPU coated nylon exterior
- Duraflex hardware
- Tie-down slots
- Padded shoulder strap
- Ingenious insulation
- Integrated mounting system
- Easy open latch
- Reinforced base
- Leak-proof seal
- Water-resistant pockets
- Brand: Otter box
- Dimensions: 21× 17× 11 inches
- Large capacity of 30 quart
- Also Available in 12 and 20-quart volume
- Can accommodate 50 beverage cans without ice
- The heavy-duty base protects the bottom from abrasion
- The largemouth opening allows easy loading and unloading
- The TPU coated nylon exterior is durable and resistant to water puncture, UV rays, and chemicals
- The Duraflex hardware makes the cooler strong and improves durability
- Tie-down slots allow easy access to the contents of the cooler
- Padded shoulder strap gives comfort when carrying the cooler
- The ingenious insulation improves ice retention
- Easy open latch allows one-handed opening
- The reinforced base makes the cooler sturdy
- There is a lifetime warranty
- The integrated mounting allows attachment of accessories
- The cooler comes with a bottle opener
- There are various color options to suit users preferences
- There are no drink holders
Coleman Collapsible Cooler
The Coleman Collapsible Cooler is a soft-sided cooler from polyester material. It is easily foldable to reduce storage space. The cooler is ultra-portable. It has premium insulation that increases ice retention in high temperatures up to 90⁰F, and there is a zippered main compartment that keeps in the cold and secures the cooler. Another feature is the easy access front pocket that helps keep valuables such as keys, wallet, and phone. The Coleman collapsible cooler also has a sealed seam liner that prevents leaks from melted ice. It prevents the formation of odor, mold, or mildew with a treated liner. There are adjustable straps for comfort when carrying the cooler, and it is available in variable sizes of 9, 18, 34, and 54 cans. The cooler has wipeable plastic for easy cleaning, and it comes in mahogany, slate, and olive leaf colors.
- Polyester material
- Easily foldable
- Zippered main compartment
- Premium insulation
- Easy access front pocket
- Sealed seam liner
- Treated liner
- Adjustable shoulder straps
- Wipeable plastic
- Brand: Coleman
- Dimensions: 9.8 × 15.43 × 15.04 inches
- Ultra-portable, easily foldable cooler for smaller storage space
- Zippered main compartment for keeping in the cold and securing the contents of the cooler
- Premium insulation improves ice retention
- 16 hours Iice retention in temperatures up to 90⁰F
- Easy access front pocket to keep valuables
- Sealed seam liner prevents melted ice from leaking
- The treated liner does not allow the formation of mold, mildew, and odor
- Adjustable shoulder strap for comfort
- Wipeable plastic improves cleaning
- No warranty
- The sealed seams are not efficient, and there are leaks from melted ice
Buying Guide Questions
There are different factors to consider before purchasing coolers for softball tournaments. Below are answers to frequently asked questions about coolers. Kindly follow-through.
What brand cooler keeps ice the longest?
There are different brands of coolers. The best brands are Yeti, Kong, Coleman, Techniice, Siberian Alpha, etc. Kong coolers have the highest ice retention, and they keep ice for about 10 to 14 days.
Is there a cooler better than Yeti?
Although Yeti coolers have a high performance and ice retention, they are a bit pricey. The top five alternatives to Yeti coolers include Cabela Polar Cap Equalizer 25-Quart cooler, Orca ice-retention Hard Cooler, RTIC 20 cooler, Megallan Outdoors Frosty Vault 36-can Soft Cooler, and OtterBox 30-Quart Trooper cooler.
What is the best soft cooler on the market?
The best soft coolers on the market include Yeti Hopper M30, AO Canvas Cooler, OtterBox Trooper LT 30, IceMule pro, and REI C-op Cool Trail Split Pack.
Is Coleman or Igloo cooler better?
The Igloo cooler has ice retention of about four days, and it costs about three times as much as a Coleman cooler. The benefits of the Igloo cooler include durability and high functionality. In contrast, the Coleman cooler has a higher ice-retention time, and it is less expensive.
Are expensive coolers worth it?
Expensive coolers are durable and can withstand different weather conditions. They also keep ice for more extended periods due to their thick walls and high insulation. If you are looking to use coolers for overnight or day trips, less expensive coolers are a great option.
What brand cooler is as good as a Yeti?
Different Coolers are as good as a Yeti, and they are durable, have high insulation, and offer long ice retention. These coolers include the Igloo Yukon Cold Locker Cooler, the K2 Coolers Summit 50, the DeWalt 25-Quart Roto Molded Cooler, and the Reyleo Portable Artic Ice Chest.
Do ice packs go on top or bottom of cooler?
Ice packs should always be on top of the cooler. Ice packs on top of a cooler keep items cold because cold air sinks through the items.
Why is Yeti cooler so expensive?
Yeti is a well-known brand with the first to market advantage of producing roto-molded coolers. Yeti coolers have a quality finish, and they have innovations that make them stand out.
Coolers are necessary for keeping food and drinks cool for a long time. The ten best coolers for softball tournaments are reviewed in this article regarding brand, portability, durability, storage space. Kindly follow through to select the cooler that suits your needs.